Friday, January 14, 2011

Californication


I just got back from a 6 day spur of the moment trip to California.  It was my first time really exploring in California, and the whole thing really blew my mind.  We started and ended in San Diego, and it was beautiful.  It felt like we were in a Eurpoean city where everyone spoke English.  Some parts really reminded me of Sydney, Australia, the laid-back beachy attitude that I've missed so much.  Other parts, including Balboa Park and the architecture reminded me of Barcelona, Spain.  

And, if you're going to visit San Diego someday, I would suggest you make time to do these three things.
1.) You absolutely must visit Coronado.  It is my new favorite place in the United States.  It's beautiful, with it's Spanish Colonial architecture, pristine beaches, perfectly manicured neighborhoods, and whimsical little shops.  The most important sight to see in Coronado: the Hotel Del Coronado. (See pics below.)





2.) Next, you must visit Children's Pool in La Jolla.  La Jolla in itself is a dream, but there are many beautiful beach communities in the US, and what makes La Jolla special is the sea lion viewing that happens at Children's Pool.  The sea lions are everywhere, snoozing in large cuddly piles stranded atop rocks in the ocean, frolicking and splashing in the waters right below the viewing pier, or sunbathing on the beach just a few feet away from onlookers. (See pics below.)





3.) Lastly, you must eat South Beach Bar & Grill fish tacos.  The food in San Diego is pretty delish. I might be a little more partial than most, because my two favorite food groups are Mexican and Seafood, but in general I'm very particular about my food and California came to play.  But, I can honestly say, that South Beach Bar & Grill has one of the best things I've ever eaten in my entire life: Mahi Mahi fish tacos, and if you ever make your way to San Diego, you have to look this place up so you can get a taste for yourself.

Other noteworthy food and drinks: In N Out Burger - Double Double. La Puerta - Devil went down to Georgia (drink).  Extraordinary Desserts - Chocolate Chai Latte and Chocolate Shortbread.

As for the rest of our California adventure, we went to Hollywood and saw the sign (which was nestled up on a hill through narrow windy neighborhood roads that reminded me a lot of Granada, Spain), went down Hollywood Boulevard to see the obligatory Walk of Fame and Grauman's Chinese Theatre, made our way down Sunset Boulevard, past The Viper, The Roxy, and The Whiskey A Go Go, and drove down Mulholland Dr and through Beverly Hills.  We ate lunch at the always paparazzi-drenched Ivy and lazied down Rodeo Dr.  But as a whole, I found LA, Hollywood, and Beverly Hills to be underwhelming.  I had hoped Beverly Hills would have lived up to my lofty aspirations of a star-dripped town tortured by the surrounded scenery of obnoxious wealth and perfection and that West Hollywood would be gritty and grimey with mangled storefronts decorated by unknown artists, but alas it was a shadow of a town with not much energy nor surprising wealth (other than the cars, which I'm positive I saw 17 year olds driving Maserati's).

We drove to the Santa Monica Pier, which was a lot like a Jersey Shore Boardwalk, and we drove down the Pacific Coast Highway which went through iconic beach towns such as Huntington, Newport, and Laguna, but once again I was not awed as I thought I was going to be.  


Our spur of the moment trip to California was action-packed and much-needed.  I hope that I will make it back to San Diego someday soon, and that eventually I will make it to Northern Cali.

No comments:

Post a Comment